Monday 20 April 2009

Training schedule

Before we can fly in space, astronauts have to undergo hundreds of hours of training.

This is split into three main sections:

Candidates who have been selected need to pass a one-year course of basic training. The candidates learn about space technology and science, basic medical skills, and how the International Space Station (ISS) works. They also under intense physical fitness training (I’ll be logging my training here on the blog so you can compare me progress to what’s expected – obviously getting knocked off the scooter hasn’t helped) and will become familiar with scuba diving.

After this first part, they go on to another year of advanced training (this takes place in the USA, Russia, Japan, Canada and in Europe). They learn in more detail about the various parts of the ISS, the experiments and the transport vehicles, and the involvement of ground control.

Working as much as possible with the other members of the crew, they learn about the special tasks linked with their mission and they become familiar with weightlessness doing parabolic flights.

Obviously I can't go into too much detail with regards the scientific/technological side of things (National security don't you know) but I will be giving details of the physical training side of things shortly. Apparently, at my current size I wouldn't be able to get inside the actual capsule, nor would I fit into the seat of the module.

How difficult can it be to lose a bit of weight and get fit? I've trained before and a little running, some sit ups and press ups and I'll be sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment